The Complete Egg

The before, during and after of a molar pregnancy, with a side of chemo and a 12 month wait before ttc. And most recently: experience of a healthy pregnancy.

Friday, October 13, 2006

***Upon re-reading this, I realized that my chemo fuzzy brain was reading "Chemo Card" instead of "Cancer Card". A small difference, I know, but worth noting that I am regaining some brain activity again.***

Now wait just a minute! We thought we were the clever ones who came up with this idea. I mentioned it here in a previous post. It seems that Cancer Vixen knows all about the Chemo card. Been meaning to get that book even though I don't really have cancer....well, it's true...it's just pre-cancerous. I'm glad Cancer Vixen is doing so well selling her graphic novel. It's gotten a ton of publicity.

Somehow I can't see people buying a graphic novel on molar pregnancies.

There's a bit of a stigma I've been tapping into around this whole molar pregnancy thing. People are just not prepared to hear that a pregnancy can lead to chemo treatment. They get that look, that "Thank God I'm not you" look.

Apparently, my mom was saying that there was a stigma around breast cancer at one time and people just did not talk about it. Maybe I have never heard of molar pregnancies because women don't talk about it because they feel ashamed of it. So, why would women feel ashamed of it? I admit that there is a very small (and yes, small and insecure) part of myself that feels somewhat, errr, ashamed of all of this. I can't believe that crap but well, it's true.

I'm glad that there are a bunch of women out there that are blogging away about what they are encountering on their way to mommyhood. It is not as easy as a lot of people think. I can't wait until there is a witty graphic novel about pregnancy loss and the sometimes long journey of having a child. Aliza Sherman is making a documentary film about miscarriage. Deanna is writing a novel about pregnancy loss. Did you know that October 15th is Babyloss Awareness day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home