The Complete Egg

The before, during and after of a molar pregnancy, with a side of chemo and a 12 month wait before ttc. And most recently: experience of a healthy pregnancy.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Gratitude

Thanks for all of your support. I did end up calling the midwives, booking an ultrasound and asking for support through this first trimester. Fortunately, the midwives responded immediately and I have received several phone calls since. It is very reassuring and validates to me that I made the right choice in care. I just needed to tell them what I need. I think that they try to take their cues from the woman and I could be more proactive.

So I was able to get a ultrasound booked for last Wednesday. The technician scared the crap out of me when she barked out my name and I thought, oh no, I can't go in there with her. But I did. And she was very clinical. However, the news was really positive so in the end, I didn't care that she was such a cow. The baby had grown and measured at nine weeks and the heart rate was 171. She printed me off some pictures but they were super blurry, not like the last ultrasound pics at 6 weeks which had excellent resolution. The technician was so lovely last time. We were so lucky to get her. Plus, she gave us the names of 3 other great technicians that work there because she was going off on maternity leave. So, I will book the next ultrasound myself (for 18 weeks) and try and get one of them. It does make a difference. This last tech was so robotic...."How many pregnancies have you had?" "Any children?" "Did you have a d&c for the molar?" Ah yes, you have to. "Were their any complications after it?" Ah yup, I went on to have chemotherapy. And how the hell is this relevant?? Find the baby, tell me the heart rate and don't make me more anxious by making me recount my sad history. Really, how was any of that necessary. And these questions were rattled off like they were from a form questionnaire. Anyways, I need to focus on what's important and that's that the baby is doing well. Thank goodness. It's so cool. I wish she would have shown me the screen for longer. Next week, I have an appointment with the midwife and she will try to find the heart rate with the Doppler. Then, I will have another ultrasound in my 12 week. Once I pass the 12th week, I think I will feel a lot more confident. I certainly feel much better after this second positive ultrasound. I am so, so grateful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH for a healthy ultrasound. I'm glad you are feeling better.
Jeni

11:20 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Yipee!! This is very good news, Chantelle! I'm so glad u followed through with it. 171 is brilliant! Go baby! So are you not going to have the NT scan then? Was it too early to do it this time?

I really hate the endless questions too. There is something very irritating about most health professionals that make them ask and talk about something like mp like it is a small scratch on your knee. You'd think they could look vaguely sympathetic! Hopefully for the next ultrasound they could cut down on the questions a little?!

Hey, so what is your due date then?

1:16 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I'm so glad it's going well. I know it sucks to have to recount the history, but be prepared - they will ask you at every u/s. They need the data for the computer I think.

9 weeks, still going strong...this is great news!!!

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home